Play the Song

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tracy's Email

Papaw--As if anyone can even begin to thank you for everything you've done. Thank you for the unique vocabulary you've handed down to every Richard descendant; for the hilarious memories we all have of you; for all of the times you've bought me cheese fries; for all of the funny (obviously made-up) stories you've shared with me; for your extraordinary patience and incredible example of what a patriarch should be.

Mana--Same goes for you; there's just no way to even remember what you deserved to be thanked for. Thank you for being my grandmother; for being "Mana" to everyone, even those who can't claim relationship to you; for teaching me to play the piano and to sing songs with notes I never thought I'd could hit; for always believeing in my talent as a writer and for unfailingly encouraging me to keep at it; for always smiling; for always saying "JIM!--she's going to believe you!" when Papaw tells his obviously made-up stories. I'm proud to introduce you as my grandmother.

Dad--Thank you for saying "Well, to be honest with ya..." more times in one day than I can even count; for loving Mom and your children so much that it shows on your face constantly; for fighting hard and making it through your heart trauma of two years ago; for teaching me how to shoot and deer hunt; for raising me to be what I am--the girliest country girl anyone will ever meet.

Mom--Thank you for raising me in the Traditional Catholic Rite; fo r being the mother of 13 children; for being the most *truly* loving mother anyone could hope for; for having the patience of a saint; for laughing at my moods; for putting up with my moods; for listening to me rant; for helping me prioritize my life; for encouraging me when I didn't want to be strong; for raising me and my siblings to understand the value of family and staying together; and thank you, thank you, thank for my siblings. Thank you for having the courage, the strength and the patience to give me so many of them.

Marc--Thank you for eating Cheerio's from a measuring bowl while wearing boxers about 16 years ago, that image is locked in my brain and still makes me smile; thank you asking me to be Colby's Godmother; for all four of your adorable children, I love them very much; for having that goofy, one-sided smile; for being a dork when you were younger and complaining about your wallet falling in the toilet; for taking care of me and our siblings for so many years.

Crystal--Thanks for being there for me so many times when I was younger, you got me through some hard times--you were a big sister to me and I've never forgotten; thank you for my nephews and nieces; for calling to ask me to be Colby's Godmother; for making the best garlic dip ever, even though I can't eat it anymore.

James--Geez, man, thank you for a whoooole lot; for singing "John Jacob Jingle Heimer Schmidt" down in the basement at the house in Yukon more times than I can remember; for being one of the nicest guys I've ever met; for Marcus, I love my nephew; for never saying anything bad about anyone; for being the reason I met Jenn, Lexi and Gavin; for being my big brother; for being level-headed when it seemed like no one else was capable of being so; for leading countless Rosaries while Dad was in the hospital.

Heather--Remember how we used to drive down the road in your 240 SX, blaring that Veggie Tales CD and singing at the top of our lungs? Thanks for that. You were the only one I felt I could be immature around back then, and we did it in a big way; thanks for asking me to be your Maid of Honor; for my three beautiful nieces, they truly are gorgeous.

Tom--Thank you for all of the interesting conversations we've had. I learned a lot from you and I miss our talks. Thank you for my nieces,

Kelly--Three words....Fat Tuesday 2007. Thank you for that. If I think about it for more than a couple of minutes, I end up laughing out loud. Thank you for the first two months in the three bedroom apartment, that was the best time of my life and I miss it; thank you for telling the muffin joke; for the in-depth conversations we had; for being my sister.

Mary--Thank you for having the sense of humor that caused you to ask "Is it a LampO for my apartment?"; for the Gilmore Girls marathons; for making me laugh even when I didn't want to; for good times20in our two bedroom apartment; for the first two months in the three bedroom; for introducing me to the Life of Riley, I had great times hanging at the Blue Note; for dating John, thereby giving me a friend that can talk books and authors. ;)

Lizzie--Right. Like I could even list what I want to thank you for. Thank you for being my little sister; for being an awesome example to our little siblings; for having the courage to do what you have done; for having the strength to handle everything you have; for being across the living room to lock eyes with during the Rosary; for laughing when our eyes meet during the Rosary; for calling me for advice and then arguing--I'm sorry...*discussing*--what I say. Oh, and for the roof. Good times....

Bryan--Thanks for the phone calls from Saint Greg's; for making me laugh when we're together; for being strong; for making me proud to be your big sister.

John--Thanks for the times we've gone horseback riding together; for putting on juggling shows; for being a brother I can be proud of; for always watching out for your little brothers and sisters; for always being willing to do something to help out.

Becky--Thank you for being the cool little sister all of my friends love having around; for being the cool little sister *I* love having around; for always having something to talk about; for the sister talks we have on the cliff; for being so much like me!!; for watching movies with me; for that thi ng we have...you know, that little voice we both hear that tells us to look at the other?

Hunter--Thanks for always meeting me at my car to carry my bags in; for asking if you can help me with anything; for looking out for me while Bryan and John are gone.

Michelle--Thank you for bringing so much joy into my life; for being my Goddaughter; for dressing up and dancing around; for smiling and running to give me a hug when you haven't seen me in a few days.

Therese--Thank you for being my baby sister; for being my "Snuggle Buddy"; for smiling and running to give me a hug when you haven't seen me in a few days.

Uncle Mark--Thank you for being "the Cool Uncle"; for taking your eye out at the funniest times possible; for making me feel like I'm your favorite niece, even though we both know it's really Becky; for raising your kids to be so close to their cousins, they are my best friends.

Theresa--You've been a second mom; you've helped me and encouraged me and loved me when I needed it most; thank you for all of the advice you've ever given me; for your children; for showing them the importance of family, because their understanding of it rubbed off on me. Thank you for being my mom's sister; for the visits to Clear Creek; for marrying my Cool Uncle Mark.

Mandy--Okay...DON'T CRY or I won't write anything for you. Ready? Okay. You are the greatest blessing that came out of the turmoil of two years ago, I wouldn't give up my friendship with you for anything; you've taught me so much about life and how to deal with it; I've never laughed with anyone as much as I have with you; I've never loved a job more than I love working for you; thank you for asking Donovan why he woud eat the toilet brush; for telling the girls not to "velveeta the mirror"; for letting me help you with the cutest kids in the world; for letting them call me Aunt Tracy; for telling me the funniest stories ever to have been told; for understanding what I can't even put into words; thank you for being a huge, huge comfort when I needed you; for being a true friend; for understanding that this list could gone on forever but it's not going to 'cause I have to move on... ;)

Landon--Thank you for your wonderful children and for letting me help your wife with taking care of them.

Ashley--Thank you for being my first best friend; for being my cousin; for the knowledge that you are always there for me; for Girls Nite at your house; for all of the girl talks we ever had.

Chad--Thanks for acting like you hate me, while at the same time giving the vibe that you would do whatever you could to help me if I needed it.

Melissa--Another cousin, another person to thank for girl talks. We've talked and laughed a lot, and been there for each other during some hard times. Thank you for being a shoulder I can cry on.

April--Thank you for being the kind, sweet and caring woman that you are. You have inspired me by your actions. You are someone I know I can turn to during a hard time too. Thank you so much for being there for me.

Robby--Dude. You're just cool. You can always make me laugh. I love that. Thank you for that and for taking such good care of my cousin and little baby cousins. You're a good man.

Marcy--Heh. Um. Yeah. Thanks for everything. Thanks for the letter I still haven't read; for asking me to go shopping with you the other night; for laughing and being excited when I found what I was looking for; for being the one I can't wait to call when I see a Marine; for meeting me at Starbucks a million times; for calling anyone and everyone a jerk when they upset me; for just knowing things about me; for calling me and saying "Geez, we haven't talked in forever" when it's really only been 24 hours; for being my best friend. I love you.

Anthony--Days at Allaus, hours spent writing a song, coffees and guitar music...these are some of my favorite things. Thanks for being such a great cousin. I love that we are so close.

Mason--Swing dancing, dude!! No one can make me look as good dancing to Glen Miller as you can. Thank you for all the good memories of dancing at various parties.

Nancy--What to say to you...you are one amazing woman. You are a wonderful aunt. You have given so much of your time and attention to me over the years, you have touched my life and made it much better. Than you for letting me live with you for two years; for staying up late nights letting me talk your ear off; for giving me advice I will never forget; for teaching me how to play "Devil's Advocate" and learning from it; for teaching me that there are ALWAYS two sides to every story, and sometimes more; for helping me find a new wheel last year when I felt like I couldn't even make a call on my own. Thank you for being there whenever any of us need you. I love you.

Justin--Thank you for putting up with my computer time when I lived with your mom; for that time I fell asleep on the couch and you put a cover on me; for apologizing to me the other week.

Ryan--Thank you for saying "You're being...goofy" to your mom when I was living there--it got in my head and I've used it ever since then to describe people who overreact.

Jessica--Thank you for starting these emails going; for making me laugh more times than I can count; for letting me be Braxtan's honorary aunt; for the time you looked at a lamp and said "ow!" because the light reminded you of stubbing your toe; for giving the Richard family a little saint to pray to; for reminding us that our family has a positive side and we have a lot to be thankful for.

Dan--Thank you for falling in love with Jessica; for deciding to wait for her; for marrying her; and then for sharing your story with her entire extended family, as corny as this may sound, hearing that story made me believe in true love and holding out for "the one". And thank you for your children, Jaydlyn and Braxtan. You're a good man.

Colby, Ryan Michael, Nicola, Jackson, Marcus, Regina, Veronica, Amy, Warrick, Huston, Dalton, Madilynn, Emma, Donovan, Kya, Karolina, Carter, Micah, Izabella, Emily, Braxtan, Christopher-- I love you. It's amazing to me that every single one of you have touched my life and made me happier. I hope you have the same chance to grow up together and to be each others best friends like we were before you. I hope you each have the chance to make the same type of memories with our amazing grandparents.

Jaydlyn Jo--Keep praying for us. We miss you. Thank you for watching out for us.

God--Thank You for my family. Crazy as we all are, I love being part of it.

~~To all of you--I love every one of you.~~

~Tracy Marie

No comments: