Play the Song

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mandy's Email

Jessica,
You are my hero.

To the rest of my family:
Mana, Thank you for teaching us how to play the piano and sing, for sitting with us during mass and telling us when Jesus got there, for making every holiday magical for the last twenty-eight years, for loving me and my children, for the millions of prayers you have said for us during our lives, for writing us all stories and songs, for giving me advice when I don’t know what to do, for being the best grandmother that any child has ever had.

Papaw, Thank you for dressing up like Santa when we were little kids, for giving us a secret piece of cheese if we snuck into the kitchen after you, for teaching us the traditional Richardisms, gully gully, for showing each one of us how to use a computer, mow the lawn, and behave at a restaurant, for taking me to Disney World and to the lake, for reading to my kids on Easter, for loving us through all of our stupidity and childishness – even when we weren’t children anymore.

Mom, Thank you for creating the perfect balance of mother and friend, for letting me vent to you and never holding it against me, for raising the six best, most incredible siblings in the world, for showing me what marriage is all about, for being a Mima, for helping me every time I need it, and I could list all of the babysitting, loaning, cooking, cleaning, counseling, teaching, singing, laughing, etc., but it would take up too many megabytes. I love you. You are amazing.

Dad, What can I say? Thank you for being the dad that all of my friends love, for always letting us know how much you love us, even though it’s hard for you to say, for dancing with all of us (and Jessica) at our weddings, for being here for twenty-eight years when a lot of dads would have checked out, for telling me about boys, for loving my husband through his struggles, for the Nikes you got me for Christmas when I know they were too expensive, for teaching me how to drive, for being a Grandawg, for Sunday dinners even though I know we drive you crazy…you may want to plug your ears now…I love you so much!

Aunt Cindy, Thank for understand and sharing what motherhood means, and for all the times you let me spend the night and drink coke!

Bryan, Thank you for all of the times you have called just to see if I need something.

Nancy, Thank you for being honest with me. Thank you for being there for all of us. You are a hero, you have shown us what it means to have joy through sorrow, and strength through hardship. Thank you for all of the parties and pictures and bean dip.

Landon, Thank you for being everything that a husband and father should be. Thank you for staying up with me all night when I left the clinic terrified that night. Thank you for all of the times you have helped my extended family. Thank you for always letting me see them on holidays. Thank you for the six beautiful children we have, and for everything you do for us every day.

Ashley, Thank you for always being my best friend. Thank you for helping me with my kids when you were about to pop out Kya (retraction: That was Karolina,wasn't it?). Thank you for choosing me to be her godmother. Thank you for being a kind and considerate aunt, and for giving me two nieces and a nephew whom I adore.

Chad, Thank you for keeping my kids so much throughout the years, for letting me stay at your house when I have needed to, for offering to do it even more, for being the big brother I never had, for taking such good care of my sister.

Melissa, Thank you for always having my back, no matter what, for your loyalty, for my beautiful and sweet niece, for being yet another best friend.

Brian, Thank you for working so hard to be a part of this family, even though we all gave you a hard time of it.

April, Thank you for all of the early morning phone calls, for always being ready to get together, for all of your help with my kiddos, for being my sister and best friend, for continuing to try to patch this family up even though you haven’t had much encouragement, for my awesome niece and nephew whom I love so much.

Robby, Thank you for truly being a brother, for giving me always a reason to laugh, for always being yourself, for being such a hard worker and being such a wonderful daddy and husband.

Marcy, Thank you for being such an awesome little sis, for always being level-headed, for being such a good friend to so many people including me, for being such a loving aunt, for standing up for what you believe in, for practically living at the clinic during 40 Days, and for turning into an awesome adult, and yes, another best friend.

Anthony, Thank you for being a perfectly awesome brother, for being so hilarious, for being a cool Unca’ Coney, for letting my kids play on the drums, for always being there for all of us, what? Yup. Another best friend, just like mom always said.

Mason, Thank you for being a cute little Bam-Bam, for being a great uncle to my kids, for having my back at a moment’s notice, for helping with the scrapbook even though I know you didn’t want to, and uh-huh, for being a best friend.

Marc, Thank you for being Marc-y when we were little kids.

Crystal, Thank you for being a big sister to me when I was growing up, and for all the good times we have had together.

James, You know I love you, buddy. Thanks for all of the late-night talks, for supporting me when I had a miscarriage and when Landon was first diagnosed. For all the good times, for being the easiest person in the whole world to get along with, and for that time I called you crying when I was about sixteen. You talked to me and helped me so much, and I will never forget it.

Heather and Tom, Thank you for offering to help with money when Landon was in the hospital.

Tracy, Where to start? Thank you for everything you have done to help me this last year. Thank you for seeing the good in everyone, and for teaching me to do it. Thank you for being everything that a true friend should be. I love you so much, and I don’t know what I would have done without you this last year or two. Oh, and for the laughs, we’ve had fun.

Kelly, Thank you for being just so darn funny. I miss you.

Mary, Thank you for being so nice to me, even when I know you were mad at me.

Beth, Thank you for being so strong. You know what I mean, it’s been a rough coming of age for you, and I am so proud of you!

Bryan Jr., Thank you for always having that cute little smile on your face. (That’s going to make you mad, isn’t it? J) Thank you for being a stand-up big brother to your little sibs and a good friend to my brother.

John, I love you. You are just so cool. Thank you for always taking time to talk to my kiddos when we’ve come to visit, for being the one willing to hug someone when you say hello.

Rebecca, Thank you for being you. You are beautiful and sweet, and I love you so much. You are an amazing young woman, and I thank you for being my friend.

Hunter, Thank you for always holding my babies, and being such a good big cousin to them.

Michelle, Thank you for always putting up with my boys being ornery, and for always being so sweet and cute.

Therese, Thank you for waving at me at church on Sunday. And for playing with Madi and Emma all the time.

Justin, Thank you for the time I was so upset, and you wouldn’t let me say anything I would regret. And For always being there for me.

Ryan, Thank you for always being willing to talk things out. I love you, man.

Heather Fuhr, I don’t know you well, but thank you for so willingly being a part of this family during a crazy time.

Jessica, I can’t even tell you everything I want to, but thank you for writing this email. Thank you for loving this family. Thank you for letting me go with you to Girl Scouts. For showing us know-it-alls what motherhood is all about. You are my hero.

Dan, Thank you for taking such good care of my baby cousin and for being such a good example of strength and fatherhood.

My nieces and nephews, thank you for being you. I love you guys.

Colby, Ryan, Nicola, Jackson, and Marcus, Thank you for being cousins to my kids before they had any.

Braxtan, thank you for being such a sweet little happy baby for your mommy. You are very precious.

Christopher, I still haven’t met you, buddy, but I can’t wait. I am thankful that you are here and healthy and as cute as can be.

Jadlyn, Thank you for being up there watching over us all, for making such a huge impact on our family, and for being there for us to pray to, to learn from, and to put things into perspective. You are so much more to this family than I can put words to, but you are very loved.

No comments: