Please just take a few minutes and read this email I have poured my heart into…. If you notice a family member whom this was not sent to please forward cause I would like anyone and everyone in this family to read what I have to say. No response is needed just a little of your time to hear me out. J
It was Thanksgiving Day and I was saddened with the family issues going on considering the separation this brought to such a dynamic group of people, known as my family. As I stressed about these issues Daniel pointed out that the irony behind these problems arising so close to Thanksgiving. He suggested I place my issues aside and reflect on the meaning of what today, Thanksgiving is all about. Take a minute and look back on all you have to be thankful for. My first thoughts were what I alone was thankful for then I took a step back and evaluated the macro perception of this concept for our family as a whole. I asked myself what it is that makes my family so great? What, as a family do we all have to be thankful for?
The following memories poured into my head as I began to answer the questions on why and how our family is so exceptional, no matter the differences we had yesterday, today and even tomorrow……..
· Jackson was born a "micro-preemie" and still survives after ALL odds were against him…
· Braxtan is almost 8 months old and is so healthy for being born at 31 weeks…
· We all have a Saint in our family, Jaydlyn Jo…
· Uncle Bryan is still alive after coding three separate times due to his heart struggles…
· Theresa survived a major car wreck in 1980 while being pregnant with Mandy and delivered her wearing a metal halo brace. In addition to the delivery of 6 healthy babies to follow…
· Mana has a relationship and plays with her great-grandchildren just as she did with all of her grandchildren and children…
· Mandy was faced with a need for surgery in addition to the reality that this surgery would not allow her to have any more children. The support she received from her family allowed her to accept what needed to be done and be okay with the decision she had made…
· You all offered more masses and prayed for my family more than I will ever know during our greatest need for prayer as we basically lived in the NICU…
· Mana and Papaw are advisors to us all. They are always there day or night offering support. They have given all of us unconditional love in addition to support emotionally, financially and/or physically…
· The majority of our family lives so close together and those that live further away will be here in no time when times are tough…
· In respect to the drug issues families have, we have not lost any lives due to drugs. Therefore, we all have an opportunity to help anyone who wants to be helped. We all know our arms would be wide open if one of our family members came to us for help!...
· Mana & Papaw are still alive to share and create memories with while many of my friends don't have any grandparents to speak of…
· Our family has a strong faith in God (even the family members who are not Catholic) we ALL have a strong faith in God and that is truly unique to share with such a large and assorted family…
· Ryan once flew across seas to help Marc when he was struggling with meningitis…
· When I was on bed rest I had a plethora of family members who brought us meals and offered to get us whatever we were in need of…
· When a babysitter is needed regardless of the circumstances, we always know who to call within the family…
· My mom has taken James to the hospital in the middle of the night with concerns regarding his horrible headaches and high blood pressure. At anytime day or night she will meet any one of us at the hospital cause we all know we feel better once she is there to break down the medical jargon thrown at us ….
· Mandy took me to my Girl Scouts mother-daughter event years ago as a result of my mom being unable to attend due to prior engagements…
· There have been some unfortunate miscarriages within our family. During those times our family members have been there or have offered to help during these devastating situations…
· Donavan was Medi-Flighted to Children's shortly after his birth yet had such a great prognosis following his surgery…
· Justin never let go of my hand during my x-rays when I first arrived at the hospital after my car wreck in 2001. He told radiology to give him a lead vest since he had made me the promise to not let go of my hand, and he never did…
· Uncle Marc danced with me at my wedding when my dad wasn't there to do his job…
These are just a few instances where our family has been there for each other in a time of need regardless of any family differences. Whether you were married or born into this family, we all have stories we can add to this list of what makes this family so extraordinary. I hope and pray we will all hold onto and begin to share with others during this Christmas season. There are more important things in life than to focus on than petty arguments and the pleasure of revenge. I am not down playing any current issues nor am I trying to brush them under the rug. I simply don't want us to ever lose sight of the things it took to build this family to what it is today.
There are a number of reasons large families are not able to always be together every year to celebrate Christmas. With that being said, come Christmas Day not all of us will be able to see everyone in our family. Yet, I don't need to see everyone for me to know how important each and every one of you are to me and without you our family would not be as wonderful as it truly is. I have nothing less than an awe-inspiring family that has been created by the accumulation of individualism and eccentricity we all have to offer. Because this year I have lost a daughter to circumstances I had no control over, I refuse to lose anymore of my family members due to circumstances I have total control over. I will say for just a moment please savor these comments addressed above and thank a family member for something they have done for you or simply just being there for you in a time of need even if you disagree with their life practices today.
I love each and every one of you with all my heart,
-Jessica Jo
Play the Song
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you Jessica. I think that is just what needed to be said.
Post a Comment